Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Caca boudin

My first born's prowess in the language of Molière never ceases to amaze me. I can feel the envy oozing from the pores of my middle-class friends back in the UK, whose lumpen, monolingual offspring have to make do with toddler French classes. Here's the deal: they have houses and careers - I have the trilingual wunderkind.

He started maternelle last September. The first term elicited nothing beyond 'I don't like school mummy, the children hit me', but come February he started emitting magical phrases such as 'caca boudin' (sausage pooh? Don't ask me, that's not even GCSE-level French), 'ça c'est n'importe quoi' (that's rubbish), and 'NON, ARRETE!' (no, stop!). Maybe the last one could be useful in later life, who knows?

Seriously, he has picked up a lot - he can count, recite nursery rhymes, and is slowly finding his feet. About my only regret in deciding to leave France is that he will soon lose the shaky base (as I think we can call a vocabulary that centres around wee wee words) he has built up. My middle-class chums will no longer envy me, I will envy them, as they can surely be only a few years away from the farmhouse in Normandy, while I will just have a stack of toddler French DVDs.

Maybe traces of French will remain. He still has a scar that he got from a scratch on his first day at school (when he learnt not to talk English in the playground). I wonder which will fade first.

My first real-life encounter with French was on a camping holiday, aged 12. My mum sent me to a van to buy some chips, thinking that some concrete motivation might loosen my tongue. The guy responded to my 'pommes frites' cue by shovelling chips into a cone - magic! But then he ruined everything by asking a question ; 'Maintenant?' (as in do you want your chips later ie should I wrap them, or do you want them now, in which case I'll cut the crap and hand them right over). My prize was hovering in front of my nose, but there seemed to be an unfathomable complication, as is so often the case in this country. He repeated his question several times, until I was nearly in tears. I did not get those chips. I fled in confusion.

But who knows, maybe, if my parents had had the foresight to have me born and live the first four years of my life in France, I would have had the presence of mind to shout 'caca boudin' first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home