Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Franglais - it creeps up on you

On reading my last post I realise that I have become a person I swore I would never be. A person so smug and annoying that they deserve to be put in a Mairie where all the staff are going through messy divorces, and shunted between counters in a process known as the 'death spiral'.

In place of the word 'storage room' I used 'cave'. Not a mossy cave where bears live, but the French for 'storage room'. It's true that 'storage room' doesn't have the same pithy ring as 'cave'. It doesn't matter that I had to have a long hard think before I came up with it and that even now I'm sure there must be a better translation (no, not a cellar, because my storage room is above ground, damn it). There is no excuse for franglais. No excuse for dropping in a casual reference to the fact that I am the real deal - a seasoned expat. It is way too irritating.

I was confused the first time someone asked me for my 'coordinates'. Then I realised that otherwise sane English people asked for each other's coordinates all the time, as if we were all engaged in a gigantic game of battleships. It has become an accepted Franglais expression. Except the poor things have been here so long they are probably not aware that they sound as if they are trying to blow someone up, not find out their address.

Even worse is when people adopt French speech inflections. Yes-ah. No-ah. Beeeh...

Excuse me, I'm going to get a drink. It's been a long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home