Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Monday, June 19, 2006

A Russian man who irons

Hubski has many faults and quirks, none of which I am going to blog about as one of my inner blogging rules is - never write anything about family that you can't say to their face. Come to think of it, this isn't relevant to hubski as a) I tell him about his faults to his face all the time and it's a great deal more fun than blogging about them and b) Although he is the only other person in the world in my off-line life that is aware of this blog, he cares little about it beyond complaining 'Blogging again? When are you going to get paid?' (actually, that means he cares great deal).

But faults and quirks aside, the fact remains that:

I am in possession of a Russian man who irons.

At 7am in the morning, before he goes out to work and before I get out of bed.

In the words of Ali G, you can flip me over and bone me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home