Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The third sex

A casual remark in the hairdresser's today reminded me. The gorgeous, springy barnet that I grew (I wish I knew how because I would bottle the formula and sell it) during pregnancy had wilted beyond recognition, and I decided that it was time to have it all cut off again.

I don't go to the finest establishment in town, and the hairdresser (hand tremor, mossy breath) took a full six minutes to undo 18 months of nurturing. Mid-attack, she asked me if I would like my hair 'griffé' (feathered) at the back. I replied yes, and to that she said, almost to herself, 'pour quand même garder un peu de femininité'.

Hmmm. 'Quand meme'. Was I being paranoid, or was her comment roughly translatable as 'We're fighting against the odds, but let's try and send you out of here looking more or less feminine.'

You see, in this country, I have often been mistaken for a man. I am taller than the average French man, with short hair, and am welded to my jeans and denim jacket. I sometimes forget to apply mascara. At first I found the 'third sex' encounters, usually in shops, hilarious. 'Merci Monsieur, euh, pardon, Mademoiselle. Excusez-moi!' Then, after about the sixth occasion, I began to feel like a freak. Plus, now I am finally starting to look my age (blame sleepless nights), there's a good chance the next occasion will be 'Merci Monsieur, euh, pardon, Madame. Excusez-moi!' Not quite as funny.

Anyway, I used this thoughtless remark as fuel for a rare retail binge, during which I bought my first ever poncy lady jacket, the sort, according to Glamour magazine, one can wear both to weddings and with jeans.

I am 31-year-old mother of two after all. I will throw out my last remaining hooded top tomorrow. But no Frenchy will ever make me throw out my denim jacket.

1 Comments:

Blogger francesca tereshkova said...

I can't believe my first comment was an AD!

Sheesh!

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home