Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Monday, June 05, 2006

Mummy crack

There's a bag of the sweets that dare not speak their name on the top shelf in the cupboard. I bought them to decorate my son's birthday cake, so it's not my fault.

Actually, I lied. The empty bag is now in the bin, strategically positioned under melon detritus to avoid the cry of 'Daddy! Mummy ate all my sweets! Again.'

There is something pharmaceutical in those sweets. The evil people who run the food industry know what I am talking about.

I hadn't actually tried them since I was conned into buying them as a teenager, thanks to a cheesy ad that tapped into adolescent insecurities by showing popular kids in sports cars flinging them up in the air and into each other's mouths. Very 80s.

But I dismissed them as inferior American smarties, so maybe the crack-like substance they now contain hadn't been discovered at that point.

To return to the present: 'Mummy, Mummy! I want the sweets with the ems on their tummies.'

I will never buy another bag of the em sweets again. Or mummy will wake up one morning with an em on her tummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home