Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Come fly with us...

Eight years of life in France have given me so much stuff to tell that I don't know where to begin.

But as I have next to me a copy of the promotional blurb from the company where hubski works (a Russian airline that shall remain nameless), I think I will quote a few paragraphs, as they do a much better job of summing themselves up than I could ever do (and that's saying something).

Here goes:

'Having decided to travel by air many of you will start with numerous questions: which tariff is better, how do I book and buy my ticket, when do I have to be in the airport for the check-in etc, and the answers may prove not to be that simple.'

Well, forewarned is forearmed, I suppose.

This next bit worries me, however:

'Our passenger should be aware that every stage of their trip here on earth and up in the sky will keep them confident and comfortable.'

Good to know St Peter will be on stand-by with the nibbles.

Lastly, I leave you to reflect on this:

'Safety and comfort are ......... Airline's main concern but we also strive to make our flights accessible to the widest range of passengers.'

This explains why I would rather travel to Russia by bus than by plane.

If anyone wants to know what this has to do with France, well, not a lot, I must admit. This is because hubski, despite having been in France for a whopping 15 years, being regularly mistaken for a Frenchman, and a having a string of qualifications, including since recently French nationality (which means, as I am fond of pointing out, every time he tells an anti-French joke he is insulting himself), he has never managed to get hired by a French company.

He works in aviation, and the only reliable route into the French national carrier is via the undergarments of the person who recommends you, except perhaps at entry level (excuse the pun). I do know what I am talking about, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home