Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On unfairness and refrigerators

I have an American friend, let's call her L. We met two years ago through her French husband, who heard me speaking English in our local ludotheque, and promptly marched up and introduced himself. That is the only time a French person has ever marched up and introduced him/herself to me, and I salute him as the exception that proves the rule (he did spend several years in the States, which I think played havoc with his DNA).

L is a lovely person and different from me in that she has a promising future in this country. Her man is French with the right diplomas and a management job in a French bank. She has just got French nationality and will soon become a teacher in the state system (hello job for life). She has a mum-in-law nearby who babysits. They plan to move down South in a few years. All of this is just peachy.

I like it when things work out for people, especially when they are my mates. But I found out a very minor something when we were chatting in the park yesterday, which makes me question if I am a good person.

All the CDIs (permanent contract holders) in L's husband's bank get a catalogue of household items with prices around half the market rate. Lower, non-CDI-possessing life forms are not entitled to have it.

I have grown to accept that six weeks holiday a year, lavish Christmas presents for the kids, subsidised, on-site yoga classes, and free orthodonistry for your third cousins are a reality for many people lucky enough to be in work in this country. But I am not OK that everytime I buy an expensive fridge, I am subsidising a cheap fridge for the tanned ones, not to mention adding to their sense of entitlement.

Sorry, but my need for cheap white goods is greater than theirs. Not that I need a new fridge - it's the principle, you understand.

It's time to stop this madness. I'm even willing to go on strike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home