Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A close shave with a dried fish

As I helped myself to the last pear in the fruit bowl late last night, a strange feeling came over me. A feeling of being watched.

I retraced my steps to the fruit bowl and looked inside. I had not been mistaken. Right at the bottom, a dusty, malevolent eye was looking back at me. The eye belonged to a dried fish.

This can only mean one thing.

My mother-in-law has come to stay.

Twice a year, my mother-in-law comes from Russia to stay with us, and twice a year, the flat is taken over by Much Missed Foodstuffs From Hubski's Childhood. These include, in no particular order: truncheon-sized sausages of various unnatural pink hues, bags of berries picked in the forest (frozen before the journey and lifted out, dripping, on arrival, to be placed in our freezer), dried mushrooms for soups, brightly wrapped chocolate sweets that leave a layer of grease on the roof of the mouth, and above all, several carrier bags full of dried fish. Occasionally one gets away, as was the case last night.

My only objection is the horrendous smell, which pervades the flat. Fortunately, hubski is obsessed with the dried fish in the same way that I am obsessed with M&Ms. While they are in the flat, he cannot rest. He has dried fish for dessert, for aperatif and for breakfast. 'Why don't you pace yourself? They'll be none left.' I say halfheartedly.

Halfheartedly, because I know that no fish equals no smell. But on the other hand, I know that the solid block of pork lard hidden at the back of the fridge (my mother-in-law knows I disapprove), for cutting into strips and eating with rye bread, will be next.

Chocolate digestives and golden syrup seem rather tame in comparison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home