Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways...

Why it is so, so hard to like the French? Perhaps it's because they emit so little warmth. In general, you get the feeling that they are waiting patiently for you to leave their presence. People rarely smile. I'm a very smiley person, and sometimes feel I should warn the French of this by slapping a post-it note onto my forehead with 'Cart me off to the funny farm' scrawled on it.

They are as hard to like as spoilt children. If the planet Earth was a hotel, the French would occupy the whole of the top floor penthouse, and have use of a separate, executive lift. This is why I can't forgive them for looking so bloody miserable. Just looking at people's faces on a trip to the supermarket is a draining experience. Scowls, raised voices, random acts of selfishness and hysterical driving are part of everyday banality.

I hadn't realised how much this was getting to me until about two years ago when, after having steered the pushchair round yet another copious crotte de chien, I was imagining grabbing the dog owner by the scruff of his/her neck and plunging his/her entire face into it, and then rotating gently. My fantasy was interrupted by a plaintive little voice from up front. 'Mummy, what are you saying?' France was turning me into the mad old woman who talks to herself in the street.

Even worse, the French are no fun. No other country has so much potential for enjoyment concentrated within its borders, and yet, they still can't manage it. My last job featured a typically pampered French workforce. There was a budget set aside for enjoyment, in this case, the office Christmas dinner, held at a restaurant. The problem? The chosen restaurant was a two-stop metro ride away. My colleagues fell upon this anomaly as if Christmas had come early. An opportunity to moan! Gather round! 'Déjà, le fait de prendre le metro, ça désenchante, quoi,' drawled one. Yes, I am 'disenchanted' by the notion of taking a five-minute metro ride for a work knees-up.

I am in a position to compare France with another foreign country that I know very well - Russia. And here the plot thickens. Russians have far more obvious faults than the French. Their country is in chaos, filthy and riven with corruption. Scratch the surface of the average Russian and you usually find an inveterate rascist, homophobe and drunk. The men are mostly incapable of doing so much as making themselves a cup of tea (hubski thankfully is an exception: A Russian man who irons).

Yet as a people Russians are a delight - generous and larger-than-life with a reckless joie de vivre that I can't help but admire (even among some of hubski's harder drinking friends). I connect with them with an ease that leaves me scratching my head over the eel-like nature of my immediate neighbours.

It is possible for the French to grow on you. I know people who have devoted their entire adult lives to learning to like them. Some have succeeded, especially those who have married into French families (although there I could tell you a few stories) or bought a farmhouse. But a farmhouse is beyond my budget and I have been patronised by too many French men at work, and in banks, shops and government offices to ever contemplate sleeping with one, let alone marrying one.

So I've come to the conclusion that I wish to do other things with the rest of my life than learn to like the French.

I'm sure they'll get over it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this, but you sound very bitter.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main advantage of the farmhouse, is that it is usually located in the depopulated countryside, where there are fewer Frenchers to put up with.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Spot on, Francesca. It's best to enjoy the French male charm as only skin deep and run for the hills.

I met some Russians in the US and had the best time of my one-year stay there with them. Definitely knew how to enjoy themselves, they did.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you sound as bitter as me, an utterly disillusioned 'Frenchy' in Thatcher's Little Britain. Good luck to you in happy shiny land; as for me, I look forward to side-stepping the shits on the pavements instead of the knuckle dragging shits all around me. And, yes, the food here is much better than in the past, thanks in no small measure to imports and not the indigenous cuisine of fable.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home