Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Life meets blog. B-booom!!

A cruel reminder today from Petite Anglaise of the quicksand combination of life plus blog. No doubt it will send a shudder through employed bloggers everywhere because, let's face it, who can resist a public dig at the horned one (I love those Dilbert cartoons) after a long day in the cubicle?

Bloggers who blog too much often have enviable stats (Dooce is one example, Petite will surely follow). But at the end of the day, the crowds move on and forget, and the blogger has to pick up the pieces of their life. I'm not knocking it, but it's not for everyone.

Sometimes, too much information can be dynamite. I, like Petite Anglaise, learned the hard way. Now at least, I can write whatever I want about whoever I choose, and nobody can sack me. Yes, this blogger had the foresight to get herself sacked, from her Paris-based employers, before she started her blog.

Being sacked taught me several useful lessons - all common sense really, but as the Russians say, some people don't believe in the brick wall until they've hit their head against it (sounds a great deal pithier in the original). Lesson one, don't happily share your innermost thoughts, dreams, pregnancy test results and other highly personal details with friendly colleagues. Lesson two, don't believe that just because you generally wish everybody well that the feeling will be reciprocated. Lesson three, sometimes, standing up for what you know to be true does wonders for your self-esteem. Lesson four - and this is the really good news - if you are going to be sacked, do it in France. Those labour laws are dynamite.

Everytime I have spoilt myself in the last few months (new watch I had my eye on for ages, party dress and studio photo for daughter's first birthday, full set of family camping equipment (hmm, time will tell if that wasn't an investment too far)), I have mentally blown a kiss to my former employers. So long guys, and thanks for all the euros!

Seriously, I have become a lot wiser. It's because of my sacking experience that this blog has no photos, no names, no locations. Nobody in my circle of friends and family (apart from hubski, who is sworn to secrecy), knows about this blog. Francesca Tereshkova is a pseudonymn.

Because maybe, one day when I grow up I'll have a real job, as opposed to odds and ends of freelance work. Now that would really be something to blog about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home