Goodbye la France

I'm Francesca Tereshkova, a British girl who washed up on the shores of France aboard a Eurolines bus in 1998. I came to France the day after I finished my University finals. I'm now 32 with two children. I married my Russian boyfriend (now 'hubski') in 2003. And I've learned as much about France as I need to know. In August 2006, I brought my family back 'home' to the UK. We're still adjusting... This is my story.

Name:
Location: Formerly the Parisian suburbs, now the town of E., Darkest Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I get perverse enjoyment from doing the opposite of what everyone else does. I wish I could stop but I can't. So when thousands of Frenchies were leaving France to find work and to make a better life in the UK, I chose to do exactly the opposite. That was in 1998. My French experience is unlike any I have read about in the vast Brit-in-France literary sub-genre. I have no French boyfriend or family, no country house. Dog poo has never inspired me to pick up a pen. I have recently given up on France ever changing, or me ever changing, and brought my family back to the strange new world that is England in 2006. This blog, part life-story, part diary, is my way of saying goodbye la France, and hello Angleterre (or in the Oxfordshire vernacular, 'Orwoight?').

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Your muzzer was an 'amster, and your fazzer smelled of elderberries

It's not often I meet virulently anti-Anglosaxon (to use their pet term) French people, but I did last night, at a party given by my American friend B. Most of the French I meet on social occasions are, whatever they think privately, scrupulously polite in a way that seems old-fashioned back in the UK, where modern English men are now too petrified of women to as much as hold a door open for them. By the way, I'm generalising about French men here as I have almost never been able to hold the attention of a French woman in company, unless we're both sitting down and the chairs are in a configuration that means she would have to climb over me in order to escape.

I have a theory the French save their rudeness up for public places and people they are never likely to see again, which might explain, for example, Parisians' legendary emnity with tourists.

This guy, however, was an exception. I had met him before, as I was leaving another party at B.'s house. We were talking in the hall, when he swayed out of the kitchen, and he calmly informed me that he hated all the f**king English. Er, bye then.

This occasion started promisingly enough, as he cooed over my daughter. 'Ah, what a beautiful child.' But then - 'She is English though, oh, what a shame. A real tragedy.' The humour was unconvincing. Later, having realised that we about to emigrate back to the UK, we fell into the category of people he was never likely to see again, and the gloves came off. The English food 'joke' rate went up to about one every five minutes, until it began to dominate the whole evening and I silently willed a giant tin of golden syrup to fall out of the sky (we were sitting outside) onto his head.

Having taught English to business drones like him, I think I know where the roots of this almost comical hatred lie. There comes a point in the lives of all young French movers and shakers when they realise that they can pass all the concours the state can throw at them, they can use their connections to shoehorn their way into any number of stages-to-die-for, if they can't speak English, zey are doomed! And, although they swallow their pride (image of a python swallowing a goat comes to mind), go to the lessons and learn ze bloody language and use it to get on and fulfill their destiny, they never quite come to terms with the indignity of it. So they seek solace in sad, outdated jibes about English food.

I realised, 24 hours too late, who that guy reminded me of, and what I should have said to him. For those of you scratching your heads over the title of this post, I suggest you rent the DVD of Monty Python's 'The Search for the Holy Grail' at your earliest convenience.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Being rude is like playing golf - they do it for sport and pleasure. No empathy, no remorse. A strange people.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah well, let the baby have his dummy.

Still, but for a couple of battles a couple of hundred years ago, they might be doing your job! I get the impression there are elements of French society that have never got over that.

1:58 PM  
Blogger pinochiette said...

That's so 1984 to make jokes about English food. I bet he didn't even update it to talk about how all the food in London is now wrapped in plastic.

I think your goodbye blog is a lovely idea.

10:03 AM  
Blogger pinochiette said...

That's so 1984 to criticise english food. I bet he didn't even update it to talk about how all the food in London is now wrapped in plastic.

Your goodbye blog is a lovely idea.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home